Garlic Scape and Basil Pesto
12 garlic scapes
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup pine nuts or walnuts
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Place garlic scapes, basil and salt in a food processor or blender
2. Pulse the ingredients until you get a rough mixture
3. Slowly add 1/2 cup olive oil
4. Continually scrape down the side of the blender to ensure all ingredients get mixed
5. If texture seems to thick, add more oil
6. Once happy with the texture, add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Blend. (Add more cheese to make pesto thicker or for a more savory paste.)
7. Add pine nuts. Blend at low speed.
8. Place pesto in serving bowl and chill until use.
9. If not using straight away, add a thin layer of olive oil to the pesto and put it in an airtight container in the fridge.
Alternatively, spoon the pesto into an ice cube or muffin tray and put it in the freezer.
After it has frozen, move the cubes to a freezer-safe bag or container. Frozen pesto can last six months.